A Breakdown of What Evidence You Can Use to Support Your EC Claim  


Unexpected circumstances can occur which are out of your control and can affect you in your day-to-day life. We understand that sometimes University can be a stressful and isolating place when unforeseen circumstances happen.  


At UAL you can apply for extenuating circumstances, which are also known as ECs, to support you on your course if you are going through a tough time. Here at the Arts Students’ Union, we know that applying for ECs can sometimes be confusing and it can be difficult to know what evidence to provide when submitting a claim. To help you out, here is a breakdown of what evidence you can use to support your extenuating circumstances claim. You can find an in-depth guide about applying for ECs on the UAL website 


Medical Evidence 

You can provide evidence from a registered medial practitioner if your claim is due to serious personal injury, mental health, or a medical condition. Make sure the letter you receive relates to the period of assessment you are claiming extenuating circumstances for and the letter details the condition preventing you from submitting your assessments on time. If you are unsure what to ask your registered medical practitioner for, then you can also pass on this useful guide to help them provide you with detailed evidence that supports your EC claim. 


How Your Circumstances Impact You 

Whatever the circumstances, it is important that your evidence describes the impact your circumstances are having on you and your ability to complete your assessments. This evidence can be from a registered medical practitioner or the University Counselling and Health Advice Service if you have used these UAL services before. If you are using written evidence from the University Counselling Service, then your evidence must demonstrate that you attended more than one counselling session prior to the assessment deadline. 


Worsening of a Long-Term Condition  

If you are experiencing a worsening of a long-term medical condition, mental health condition or disability then your written evidence from a registered medical practitioner or the University Counselling and Health Advice Service will need to clearly demonstrate a worsening of an ongoing condition that relates to the period of assessment you are claiming ECs for.  


Other Types of Evidence You Can Use  

In specific circumstances you may not be able to provide medical evidence or evidence describing the impact on your studies. For example, in cases where you have been a victim of a serious crime or if your attendance is required in court, you can receive evidence from the Police or other investigating authorities to support your EC claim.  


It is good to remember that for this academic year, if you cannot provide supporting evidence with your EC claim, then you can apply for ECs without evidence for up to a maximum of 60 credits per academic stage of your course. If you do have any questions about applying for extenuating circumstances then you can contact the Student Advisers at Arts Students’ Union for more support.  


 Written by Hayley our Student Adviser