UAL Fees and Funding service

Your first port of call for help understanding student fees, funding, what support may be available and how to access it. You can find their website by clicking here - UAL Student fees and funding


UAL Scholarships 

Scholarships come in the form of money which you don’t have to pay back. 

You may be entitled to a scholarship depending on your course, college, study level and the tuition fees you currently pay. You can find out more about scholarships here

Hardship Funding 

UAL runs an Access to Learning Fund, this comes in the form of money which doesn’t have to be paid back. 

This fund is available to all UAL students on any undergraduate or postgraduate course at University of the Arts London. You can find out more about this hardship funding here

NB: Following lobbying from Arts SU the fund is now available to international students and UAL has committed an additional £250,000 per year to the fund for the next 3 years. UAL has also committed an additional £500,000 to the fund to help students financially during Covid-19.


Whilst working isn’t always ideal many students need to work to make ends meet. There are may places that advertise jobs but these are some resources which you might find useful 

Sign up to ArtsTemps here – this is the UAL's internal recruitment service for students looking for work within the institution 

Visit Creative Opportunities here – this is UAL’s jobs board which helps students find job and internship opportunities and connect with organisations and companies in the creative sector. Only paid work is allowed to be posted on here. 

Get in touch:

For financial and debt advice click here 

To find out more about work opportunities including placements, click here  

External Scholarships 

We've compiled a list of external scholarships, not linked to Arts SU or UAL. We can't advise on these and take no responsibility for their processes but they may be worthwhile exploring if you're not eligible for UAL Sholarships/Hardship Funding or if they don't meet your needs. 

London-based students 

Acton Charities 

An annual grant of up to £300 can be given to students, whose home residence is in Acton, to help with books or equipment. ‘Residence in Acton’ usually means that Acton is the student’s home address, or it was when the university place was applied for. Students must be between 18-25 years of age, and have entered a full-time course in the UK, usually of at least three years. 

Walcot Foundation 

Provides grants for Lambeth Residents from low income households, of up to £1,500for non-childcare costs and up to £4,000 for childcare costs. Students need to provide their financial information and may be referred to a budgeting adviser or a careers adviser (these services are free). 

Sir William Boreman Foundation 

Grants of up to £3000 are awarded to promote the education of young people under the age of 25 who live in Greenwich and Lewisham, particularly those from a low-income or otherwise disadvantaged background. A grant can be used to help cover living expenses while studying, including rent and food, travel costs to and from college or university, educational materials, books and equipment, and childcare costs. 

The Paddington Charitable Estates Educational Fund 

Educational grants for people under the age of 25 who live in the former Metropolitan Borough of Paddington (which is now part of the City of Westminster). Grants are made to assist students with course fees, special tuition and educational trips. Email link for information. 

The Leathersellers’ Company 

The Leathersellers’ Company now awards Student Grants of up to £5,000 a year, for a maximum of 4 years. UK students already enrolled on a full-time degree course at a UK University, or with an offer for a full-time degree course at a UK University, are eligible to apply. Priority may sometimes be given to exceptional students from the Greater London area. 


Personal Circumstances 

Lord Kitchener National Memorial Fund 

Fund offers grants of up to £1000. Applicants must be a British subject and have served, or be the son or daughter of a parent who has at any time served or is serving on a full time engagement in HM Armed Forces. Students must be an undergraduate in the United Kingdom studying their first degree between ages 17-21. Those serving or former Service men or women may be considered up to the age of 30. Applicants will also be assessed on the basis of an interview. 

Armed Forces Bereavement Scholarship Scheme 

The aim of this scheme is to give the children of those who have died in the service of their country a head start in life by enabling them to obtain a university degree. Students must have started their Higher Education course within 3 years of finishing Further Education and it must be their first undergraduate course. 

Police Dependant's Trust 

Up to £1000 for dependants of serving, retired, or deceased police officers with a family income of less than £30,000. They also provide educational grants for former police officers who have been medically retired as a result of an injury on duty now on a low income. 

The Vegetarian Charity 

Charity can offer up to £500 for vegetarians and vegans aged below 26 who need financial assistance, such as help with educational courses or essential items. 

Education Support 

Fund provides 12 awards of £500 per year, on behalf of the Cutler Trust, to assist young people to continue their education. One or both parents of the applicant must work, or have worked, as a teacher in the inner or greater London areas. 

The David and Margaret Jones Awards 

Can offer maximum awards of £500 to students under 25 at the time of application, who have a right of residence in the United Kingdom and are studying on a full-time first degree or full/part-time postgraduate course. Applicants must complete their application form, which includes writing around 500 words to explain their need for funding and what it will be used for. 

The Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust 

Offers up to £1000 for students over 24 studying on a Masters or Doctoral degree programme in any discipline. Students must be already a resident in the UK at the time of application, and resident in the UK during the course of study, and also be able to demonstrate financial need and academic merit (1st?or strong 2:1 degree.) 


Diversity Scholarships 

Miranda Brawn Diversity Leadership Scholarship 

MBDLS offers awards for students between the ages of 14-21 years old, from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) background of up to £1000. Students will be required to submit a CV and 100 words on "What does diversity mean to me?" 

Funds for Women Graduates 

FfWG offers Foundation Grants to help women graduates with their living expenses while registered for postgraduate study or research at an approved institution of higher education in Great Britain. Open to UK and International students studying in the UK. Any subject or field of study will be considered and there is no upper age limit. 

The Hilda Martindale Trust 

The Hilda Martindale Trust makes a very limited number of awards to British women who are training or studying for a career in a profession where women are under-represented. The maximum award is £3,000. They give priority to undergraduates in their final year of study. 

British Kidney Patient Association 

One-off grants to help with the cost of university or college fees where appropriate, or the cost of books, equipment, lodgings or other expenses. These grants are given to people with kidney disease of UK nationality. Applications should be submitted by a kidney unit social worker or a member of the kidney care team and are considered daily. 

Chrohns & Colitis UK 

This grant helps to cover the costs of education and training of up to £1,000. To receive funding you must have additional support needs relating to your education as a direct result of your IBD. Funding is available for books and course material, tuition fees, additional cost of en-suite accommodation and travel passes. Grants are usually paid direct to the university or supplier. Students can’t apply for more than one grant every five years and must complete an application form. 

Snowdon Trust 

The trust can help students with a physical or sensory impairment in higher education. Bursaries are made for one or two years and do not normally exceed £2,500. Awards are made for equipment, travel, sign language interpreters, note-takers, special accommodation needs and other disability-related costs not met by statutory bodies. 

*Correct as of March 2021