The UAL Teaching Awards are a chance for staff and students to come together to celebrate our shared creativity and collaboration, run jointly by UAL and Arts SU. Each year, students are invited to nominate staff for a prestigious award to recognise outstanding teaching and technical support, along with those who go above and beyond to support the student experience.
Unfortunately, the awards were unable to go ahead last academic year, but with this term well underway, we wanted to take a moment to honour the winners, who made a positive and significant difference to students’ learning journeys.
Last academic year, over 300 nominations were received and reviewed by a panel comprised of students, academic, and support staff, using criteria for excellent teaching, technical, and pastoral support.
Each year, we commission a student to design and make the trophies for the awards. This year, the trophies (images below) were made by Yoji Caird, BA (Hons) Product and Industrial Design, CSM. The trophies are currently being stored securely, and arrangements are being made for them to be available for collection when feasible.
Dylan Wilson, Arts SU Education Officer:
“We are delighted to announce the winners for the academic year 2019-2020. A very warm, if belated, congratulations to all the winners for their hard work, sacrifices and patience in one of the most challenging years we’ve had at UAL.”
Outstanding Teaching Award
- Rachael Davey, Lecturer in Interdisciplinary Image Practice, LCC
- Benjamin Fitton, Senior Lecturer, Fine Art, Chelsea
- Shee Fun Chan, Course Leader: BA (Hons) Fashion Design Technology: Womenswear, LCF
- Helena Goldwater, Pathway Leader: Fine Art 4D Plus, CSM
- Nicola Johnson, Course Leader: BA (Hons) Fashion Contour, LCF
- Joel Karamath, Course Leader: BA (Hons) Interaction Design Arts, LCC
- Jonathan Kearney, Course Leader: MA Visual Arts: Fine Art Digital, CSM
- Emma Lacey, Stage 2 Leader, BA (Hons) Ceramic Design, CSM
- Valerie Mace, Course Leader: BA (Hons) Design for Branded Spaces, LCC
- Zoë Mendelson, Pathway Leader: BA (Hons) Fine Art: Painting, Wimbledon
- Henrietta Ross, Course Leader: MA Data Visualisation, LCC
- David Scothron, BA (Hons) Product Design Co-Lead, Associate Lecturer, CSM
- Caroline Searing, Senior Lecturer: MSc Cosmetic Science, LCF
- Stephen Spence, Deputy Course Leader: BA (Hons) Advertising, LCC
Outstanding Technical Support Award
- Andrew Allum, Specialist Technician – Ceramics, CSM
- Brian Hodgson, Specialist Technician (L&T) Printmaking Workshops & Studios – Et, Camberwell
- Franky Lehmeier, Specialist Technician: Hair & Make-up for Performance, LCF
Student Experience Award
- Neil Kirkham, Senior Lecturer: Cultural and Historical Studies, LCF
- Kira Salter, Stage 3 Leader: BA (Hons) Graphic Communication Design, CSM