Here at UAL Drama Society we aim to provide dramatic and cultural outings, events, and workshops for UAL students to share skills, talents, and dreams. No previous dramatic experience is necessary, we all learn from each other to help us grow creatively and collaboratively!
The Drama Society will explore and experience theatre and performance in its many forms, expressions, and roles. We are also very keen on exploring other dramatic formats such as film, radio, and TV; we'll be promoting activities and events related to them.
Especially for the year 2020-2021 we will turn our attention to the online media that we can use to express theatre, poetry and movement. Considering the Covid-19 restrictions on all societies, all workshops will be held online, at least for the first semester. This means that we will work individually or in small groups to create videos, animations, image collages, or any other kind of digital media. All these projects will aim to develop our dramatic skills through researching other artists and creating something wonderful and original through and despite the context that we find ourselves in.
Later in the year our sessions will move towards creating a production whether this be in a theatre, film, or live video call - this will not only be up to us of course. However, we will work as a society to decide what the best course of action is.
The online meetings will be held weekly. Our committee will also work on a newsletter to provide you with reading material, videos to watch and sources of inspiration. You will receive this through e-mail, once every two weeks.
Values of the Drama Society
- Experimentation – thinking outside the box and taking risks.
- Social bonding – meeting new people and making friends.
- Bridging knowledge – sharing skills and learning together.
- Openness – everyone is welcome.
- Commitment – engaging truly with the projects and activities.
- Enjoyment – most importantly, we want to have fun!
Benefits for members:
- Workshops to gain a better understanding of drama and the various aspects of acting/performing.
- Industry talks held online for all members to attend and have a discussion with the speakers.
- Getting to know students from other UAL courses and colleges, expanding your network of friends and collaborators.
- Engaging in a myriad of creative projects and activities and enhancing your portfolio.
Planned events and activities:
1) Weekly online workshops
These workshop will be held by the society committee and will help all members get to know each other and themselves, through working on various projects that involve online media (many of which were mentioned above).
2) Specialist-led workshops
We will invite guests from the industry or from MA courses to host a guided workshop, covering a variety of dramatic skills such as, movement, voice, music, stage and costume design. These sessions will be optional and supplementary to the weekly online workshops and may cost a nominal fee depending on the guest.
- Do the workshops have an extra cost?
No, for the moment, the workshops will be free and open for all members. However, as mentioned, some workshops led by guest practitioners will incur a small fee. These workshops are optional and will be listed on our events page.
- Do I have to attend to all of them?
No, but if you can that’s awesome. Please don’t feel obliged to do anything you don’t want to do.
- I don’t feel comfortable with acting or speaking in public. Can I still come to the workshops?
Yes, absolutely. We encourage people at all levels to participate. If you don’t want to engage in the acting exercises, you can be an active observer of the session (take notes, take pictures, film it, make drawings, etc.). Our society is open to all!
- I'm not very confident with the English language, is that a problem?
Not at all. We are an extremely diverse group and we embrace that richness and use it in our creative work. Also, there are many ways of communicating and expressing that go beyond spoken language and that's one of the things we explore in the workshops.
- Are the theatre excursions included in the membership?
We’ll try to plan all activities in advance, including visiting theatres and going to shows. We can apply for funding from the Students’ Union and locate alternative sources of funding (i.e. sponsorship). If we don’t get funding for an activity, then the cost of the ticket would be assumed by each attendee. These costs will be less than if you were to purchase tickets outside the society because we will or in contact with the organizers and are likely to be eligible for group discounts.
President - Ruxandra Bratfalean
Vice President - Emilio Wolfgang Gotterbarm-Diaz
Treasurer - Ruben Berkeley O'Reilly
Social Media Manager - Anna Houlb
Events Coordinator - Ana-Catrinel Visan