We aim to provide dramatic and cultural outings, events, and workshops for all UAL students.
The Drama Society will explore and experience theatre and performance in its many forms, expressions, and roles: acting, writing, directing, singing, dancing, producing, stage designing, custom and prop making, lighting, sound and visual effects. Establishing links with other dramatic media, such as cinema, radio or TV is pertinent and welcomed, yet our main focus is within the scope of live performing arts.
We welcome all and encourage members to share skills, talents, and dreams. No previous dramatic experience is necessary! The Drama Society is a hub for expression, research, and enjoyment of dramatic arts.
Values of the Drama Society:
• Experimentation – Thinking outside the box and taking risks.
• Social bonding – Meeting new people and making friends.
• Bridging knowledge – Sharing skills and learning together.
• Openness – Everyone is welcome.
• Commitment – Engaging truly with the projects and activities.
• Enjoyment – Most importantly, we want to have fun!
Benefits for Members:
• Workshops to gain a better understanding of drama and the various aspects of acting/performing.
• Social activities, such as theatre visits, tours, talks, etc.
• Getting to know students from other UAL courses/space for collaboration.
Planned Events and Activities:
1) Weekly drama workshops at Central Saint Martins. As part of our philosophy of sharing skills and learning together, each session is divided into two parts. This is a laboratory for creation of and experimentation with the dramatic arts, and we’ll be using different techniques, styles, and approaches, including:
a. Physical and movement exercises and games.
b. Acting training.
c. Working with text - play/scene readings.
d. Improvisation sessions.
e. Working with music, sound, time, space, and rhythm.
2) Theatre trips
3) Talks and panel discussions
4) A theatrical production created and performed by the Drama Society.
Do the workshops have an extra cost?
No, for the moment, the workshops will be free and open for members.
Do I have to attend to all of them?
No, but, if you can that’s awesome. Please don’t feel obliged to do anything you don’t want to do.
I don’t feel comfortable with acting or speaking in public. Can I still come to the workshops?
Yes, absolutely. We encourage people at all levels to participate. If you don’t want to engage in the acting exercises, you can be an active observant of the session, take notes, take pictures, film it, etc.
Are the theatre excursions included in the membership?
We’ll try to plan all activities in advance, including visiting theatres and going to shows. We can apply for funding from the Students’ Union and locate alternative sources of funding (i.e. sponsorship). If we don’t get funding for an activity, then the cost of the ticket would be assumed by each attendee.
President: Pedro Rothstein - email@example.com
Treasurer: Emma Kelly - firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice-President: Ankita Sharma - email@example.com
Social Media Links:
Annual Membership Fee:
£5 per year.