A person smiling, they are wearing a black coat with a yellow shirt underneath.


UAL’s complaints procedure allows students to raise concerns or grievances and specify a better way forward. Complaints, once raised, must be investigated impartially by the University unless they are considered ‘vexatious’.

Tell Someone

UAL is committed to promoting a safe and inclusive environment for all students. They take all reports of racism, bullying, harassment and sexual violence seriously.

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) is an independent, impartial organisation, which reviews student complaints and is the next step for students who have completed UAL’s internal procedures. It is separate from the University.

Health, Wellbeing and Support for Study

The Health, Wellbeing and Support for Study Policy sets out how the University may respond to instances where there is serious cause for concern about a student’s health or wellbeing or where a student's health, wellbeing and/or behaviour are having a detrimental impact on their ability to progress academically and function effectively at the University.

Have questions about making an academic appeal?

Our Advice team have answered all your questions right here!

Block 1 Exam Results: What to Do Next

Received your Block 1 exam results and aren't sure what to do next? Our Advice team can help.


Grounds for complaints

You may face a number of issues during your study: however, some of these are not covered by the University’s complaints procedure and are dealt with via a different procedure.

Issues that can be dealt with by the University’s complaints procedure:

  • Complaints against specific lecturers or staff-members. If their behavior is also a breach of the staff code of conduct, the case will be referred to the University’s HR Department.  
  • Complaints related to discriminatory behavior from staff: for example, if lecturers have used unnecessary and bigoted language during teaching.
  • Complaints against specific departments: for example, if the actions or policies of a department have detrimentally impacted you.  
  • Curriculum-related complaints: for example, if your lecturers have not been turning up to seminars or you believe your course is indirectly discriminatory against you.  
  • Complaints made by a group of students who all wish to raise the same matter. 

Issues that are not dealt with by the University’s complaints procedure:

  • Complaints about grades you receive. This must be dealt with through the appeals process.  
  • Complaints about the outcome of a disciplinary procedure: these complaints are pursued through a separate appeal, which you should be directed towards when you receive the outcome of the disciplinary procedure.  
  • Complaints about fellow students. These cases are referred to the student conduct regulations and can be reported directly to the Dean.  
  • Anonymous complaints are usually not dealt with under the procedure. However, in exceptional circumstances, the University Secretary and Registrar may pursue an anonymous complaint.  
  • Complaints made by former students who have graduated more than 3 months ago. 

How can the Students’ Union support you in making a complaint?

  1. We’ll advise you on the process
  2. We’ll help you to put forward an argument in your complaint enquiry form
  3. We’ll read over any documents or emails
  4. We’ll accompany you to any meetings or Complaint Review Panels
  5. We’ll support you in referring your case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator

Timeline for making a complaint

Complaints should ideally be made within the same academic year as the relevant event. However, please do not be put off if this is not the case: as you may be able to explain why you did not make a complaint earlier.

If you have graduated, you must submit a complaint within 3 months of receiving your Exam Board decision.

All complaints are submitted via the University’s Complaint Enquiry Form. This is the port of call for both informal concerns and Formal Complaints. In your responses, you can specify if you want your complaint to be treated informally or formally. 

The completed form is referred to your College Students Complaints Officer. 

If you have not specified whether your complaint is a formal complaint or an informal concern, then the SCO will decide what is most appropriate.

The Complaint Enquiry Form

You’ll need to:

  • Explain the reason for your complaint,
  • Specify the key points of the complaint that require a specific response,
  • Indicate the remedy you are seeking,  
  • List the evidence and attach this as a zip file, or individual word, PDF, or image files. 

In your response, you may want to add a sentence expressing your wish for an informal or formal resolution, if you have a particular preference for one over the other. 

For advice about the evidence to attach, please get in contact with us. Evidence can include screenshots of emails, supporting letters of evidence from internal and external staff-members, and any medical evidence, but it’s best to ask us if you are unsure.


These may include:

An apology from the relevant party,
Financial compensation,  
Improvement to facilities,
Introduction of better reasonable adjustments,  
Correction of timetables,
The opportunity to resubmit or retake units, however this will usually be dealt with through the academic appeals process. 

Complaints about bullying, harassment, and/or discrimination

Please see our dedicated information page here.

How can the Office of the Independent Adjudicator help?

If you exhaust the University’s internal complaint procedures, you can refer your case for review to the OIA. This is done by submitting an OIA complaint form, which is available online and must be submitted within 12 months of the relevant incident.

The OIA is an independent body, which is free of charge to access and which investigates students’ complaints. If the OIA upholds your complaint against the University after carrying out an independent investigation, then the University will have to follow OIA’s recommendations for resolution.

We can assist you with the OIA process. 

Contact the SU Advice Service

Email us

Usually the fastest way to contact us is to email using our contact form.

We always aim to reply within 5 working days, but often reply much sooner.

We generally answer in chronological order but if your issue is very time sensitive please mark your email 'Urgent' and we will try to get back to you as soon as we can.

Email us

Book an appointment (new clients only)

If you prefer to speak to someone directly, and you have not spoken to us previously about the issue, you can book an appointment with an Advisor.

If you already have an Advisor assigned to you and you would like to speak to them please just email them directly - this will be usually be much faster than using the booking form!

Book an appointment