A person smiling, they are wearing a black coat with a yellow shirt underneath.

Coping with Crime at UAL

Like all major cities, living in London means you might experience crime.

advice hubwellbeing

Like all cities, living in London means you might experience crime, and we're aware that there have been reports of theft near UAL college campuses. If you are a victim of crime during your time at UAL, the Arts SU Advice service can help and signpost you to services and organisations who can support you.

When moving around colleges, keep an eye on your belongings and avoid leaving items such as your phone or laptop unattended.

Reporting a Crime Outside UAL

We hope you will not have to, but if you are a victim of crime in the UK, you can report the incident to the Police.

  • You should call 999 in an emergency.
  • If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can use the Police textphone service 18000 or text them on 999 if you have pre-registered with the emergency SMS service.
  • You can report a crime by calling 101 or report this online if the situation is not an emergency.

Reporting a Crime at UAL

If you have any urgent security concerns, you can report them to the site Reception or to the security team at your college.

You can also report any incidents and concerns via UAL's Security Incident Report Form.

Extenuating Circumstances (ECs)

If you have been a victim of crime, you may want to apply for extenuating circumstances if the experience has made it harder for you to focus on your course, finish your work or submit your work.  

Arts SU Advice Services can guide you through the extenuating circumstances process and help you understand what evidence you can use to support your EC claim. You can find more information about the EC process on our website here.

If you would like support applying for extenuating circumstances, you can book an appointment to speak with an Arts SU adviser here or email us by filling out our online form here.

UAL Health Advice and Counselling Services

Feeling unsafe and overwhelmed after a crime are normal feelings to experience. If you would like to speak to someone about how you are feeling and receive support, you can reach out to the UAL Health Advice and Counselling services. You can request support by completing their online form. They also offer drop in sessions and information on where to access help in an emergency - you can find more information about the support you can receive, here.

UAL Tell Someone

You can report any incidents of bullying, harassment, racism, and sexual harassment via Tell Someone. You can make an anonymous report and UAL will be guided by you in terms of the next steps you wish to take. The form is monitored by a small group of staff who have been trained to report and support people who have experienced bullying, harassment, racism or sexual harassment.

External Support Services

Victim Support – Get in touch for independent, free and confidential advice if you need support after a crime.

Strut Safe – Strut Safe is a judgement free UK wide phoneline running Friday, Saturdays and Sundays. If you’re walking alone, their volunteers will be a friendly voice to help keep you company and feel safe until you get through the door.

Suzy Lamplugh Trust – Receive help and advice on personal safety and advise if you are a victim of stalking.

Galop – Provides support for LGBTQIA+ adults and young people who have experienced a hate crime.

Stop Hate UK – An anti-hate and anti-discrimination organisation operating a free dedicated 24-hour anti-hate crime reporting service.


Contact the SU Advice Service

Email us

Usually the fastest way to contact us is to email using our contact form.

We always aim to reply within 5 working days, but often reply much sooner.

We generally answer in chronological order but if your issue is very time sensitive please mark your email 'Urgent' and we will try to get back to you as soon as we can.

Email us

Book an appointment (new clients only)

If you prefer to speak to someone directly, and you have not spoken to us previously about the issue, you can book an appointment with an Advisor.

If you already have an Advisor assigned to you and you would like to speak to them please just email them directly - this will be usually be much faster than using the booking form!

Book an appointment